JNLP is short for Java Network Launch Protocol. It is a file extension that is used by applications like Java Web Start application and Java Plug-in to name a few.
These applications use the JNLP file for launching applications across a hosted web server, in which the JNLP files are utilized on the remote desktop client.
This Article Covers:
How to Open .JNLP Files
In case you are wondering how to open a JNLP file on Windows 10 or Mac, follow the steps given in this guide.
Method # 01: Installing Java’s Latest Version on your Computer
In order to start modifying the Java file, you need to make sure that you have the latest version of Java installed on your operating system.
Search your PC for ‘Java’, If you don’t find any Java programs in your computer, follow these steps:
- Head over to Java’s official website and start downloading.
- Follow the steps and start installing once the download completes.
Modifying File Association
File association means that every file is associated with specific programs that let you run that file.
So, in order to make sure that the JNLP files are opened by Java Web Start, you have to follow the steps given below:
- Open Start menu and go to ‘Control Panel’.
- Head over to Programs section and then go to ‘Default Programs’.
- Select the option that says, ‘Associate a file type or protocol with a program’.
- Select JNLP from the list and select the ‘Change Program’ option.
- If you can’t see any Java application on this list, select the ‘More Apps’ option.
- Go to this destination:
- Program Files (x86) \ Java \ (Open the latest version’s folder) \ bin
- Once you are at this destination, select the ‘javawv.exe’ and Open it.
If you are on Mac, follow these steps:
- Open Finder and locate the JNLP file.
- Right-click the file and select ‘Get Info’.
- Once you are on the information screen, select the ‘Open With’ option and proceed.
- Now select ‘Java Web Start’ from this list.
- If you can’t find the Java Web Start on the list, select the ‘Others’ option.
- You will get a complete list of applications. Select the appropriate application from this list.
- Also, click on the ‘Change All’ option to make sure that all the JNLP files are opened in this way.
- Save the changes.
Method # 02: Opening JNLP files via Chrome
With Chrome, you can open JNLP files. Here’s how:
- Open Chrome and head over to a website that contains a JNLP file’s link.
- Download this file. Once its downloaded, you will see an arrow next to it.
- Click on this arrow and select the option ‘Always Open Files of This Type’.
- When the window appears asking you for a program with which you want to run that file, select ‘Java Web Start Launcher’.
- Make sure that you have Java Web Start Launcher installed.
In this way, you can open JNLP files on Chrome.
In this way, you can open JNLP files on Windows 10 and Mac. Hopefully, this article guides you in the right direction.