This Article Covers:
What is HEIC File?
HEIC stands for High-Efficiency Image Container. The files of this type are created by iPhone and IPad, which means that the photos taken in iOS devices are of this type. HEIC is more efficient in terms of its size, as it compresses the photos.
HEIC can only be accessed directly on the Mac and iPhone/iPad, but on Windows, you cannot open it directly. However, there are some methods through which you can open it. You can also convert the HEIC to JPG.
Opening HEIC File on Windows 10
The Windows 10 made it easy for tis users to access HEIC files by rolling out its April 2018’s update. Here’s how you can make use of it:
- Open the HEIC file. It will be opened in the Windows Photos application.
- Click the ‘Download codecs at Microsoft Store’.
- You will be taken to the ‘HEIF Image Extensions’ page. Download and install this extension.
This way, you can access HEIC files on Windows 10.
Opening HEIC File on macOS
If you are dealing with a HEIC file on Mac, you only have to make sure that your operating system is updated to ‘High Sierra’ or later. The native support for HEIC files on Mac, comes with this update. In order to update your macOS to the latest version, follow these steps:
- Click on the Apple logo, which is located at the top left corner of the screen.
- Click ‘About This Mac’ option. Now, click on the ‘Software Update’ to update your macOS to its latest version.
Converting HEIC to JPEG on Windows 10 and Mac
If you don’t want to deal with HEIC files, then there is still an option for you, as you can convert the HEIC files to JPEG easily. The files will be converted without impacting the quality of the images. So, let’s get started:
- Head over to the ‘iMobie HEIC Converter’ website.
- Now, you can click the ‘Click to Select’ option or drag your files over to this window.
- At the top of this window, you can select the file format and the image quality.
- When the process completes, download the converted files onto your PC or Mac.
Alternate Method for Converting HEIC files to JPEG on Mac
You can use this method as well, for converting HEIC to JPEG on your Mac. Follow these steps:
- Go to ‘Applications’ folder and run the ‘Automator’. You can also use the Spotlight to search for Automator.
- Once you have opened the Automator, Click on ‘New Document’.
- Select the ‘Quick Action’ on the next window and then click on the ‘Choose’ button at the bottom.
- On the left side of the newly opened window, type ‘copy finder’ in the search bar.
- Then, drag this ‘Copy Finder items’ to the right-side of this window. Next to the ‘To’ option, you can select the destination for the saved files. This step is important, if you want the Automator to convert HEIC files to JPEG, while creating a copy. If you don’t want to make a copy of the HEIC files, then you can skip this step.
- In the search bar, at the left side of this window, type ‘change type’ and then drag the ‘Copy Type of Images’ to the right-side of the screen.
- Click on the ‘To Type’ option and change it to ‘JPEG’.
- Click on the ‘File’ at the top of this window and ‘Save’, then you will be asked to name this quick action.
- Once you have done this, click on ‘Save’ again.
- Now, you just have to right-click any HEIC file and select ‘Quick Actions’ from the drop-down menu.
- You will see the ‘Convert to JPEG’ option there.
These were some of the methods that you can adopt to access HEIC files on your PC/Mac, or convert the HEIC files to JPEG. Hopefully, these methods are useful to you.