You may have heard of Disk Image files. Disk Image files are the digital copy of physical discs. ISO image files are disk image files that are used in Windows to store program installation files or compress and store files.
DMG files are the counterparts of ISO files used in Mac and are called Apple Disk Image files or Mac OS X Disk Image Files. DMG stand for Disk Image.
DMG files usually contain program installation files for Mac and are downloaded from the internet. They are also used to clone drives and share the content between machines.
Related File Extensions:
This Article Covers:
Methods to Open DMG Files in Windows 10
As DMG files are used on mac and not on Windows, you will need a third-party tool to extract DMG files. Many different applications for extracting DMG files are available on the internet.
7-zip and DMG Extractor are two such applications that can open DMG files.
Opening DMG files with 7-zip
7-zip is highly recommended for opening DMG files. It is a free and lightweight application to compress and extract files. 7-zip not only opens and extracts DMG files but many other file types too.
- Download and install the 7-zip application.
- Right click on the DMG file, select 7-Zip from the menu to open the 7-Zip menu and select Open archive.
- Once the files is opened in 7-Zip, you can use the Extract button at the top to extract the files.
- You can also use the Extract here, Extract files, Extract to buttons to extract the files in the same folder, to another directory, or to the same directory inside a folder.
You may have to wait a few moments for the files to finish extracting, depending on the size of the DMG file.
Opening DMG Files with DMG Extractor
DMG Extractor is another application for opening DMG files but the free version of it has some limitations like, unable to extract files larger than 4 GB, can only extract five files at a time and cannot extract encrypted files.
- Download and install DMG Extractor.
- Right click on the DMG file, select Open with and select DMG Extractor from the menu. If it is not displayed there, select Choose default program and select DMG Extractor.
- Once the files is opened in DMG Extractor, use the Extract button at the top to extract the files inside the DMG file.
Using Online DMG Converter
- You can use Online DMG Converter to convert DMG files to ZIP files.
- Go to FreeFileConvert and upload the file you want to convert.
- Wait for the upload to complete and download the converted ZIP file.
You can also upload files from a link or cloud and convert them into ZIP format.